Sunday, May 23, 2010

We Be Yammin'

Charlie loves rawhide chews, but since he believes they're meant to be consumed immediately and has the teeth with which to do so, I often buy him off with a yam chew. Yam chews certainly don't last as long, but I haven't had to pull one out of his throat yet, and there's no worry about other digestive consequences. We just finished the batch I made in March, so it was time to make some more.


They're easy to make with a food dehydrator and tasty, too (I have this on the best authority, and I don't mean Charlie ;) ). 10 pounds of yams makes 2-3 pounds of chews, so they're even economical, compared to buying Sam's Yams. I blogged the recipe before. But since then, I've made an improvement -- perforating the slightly cooked yam slices before dehydrating them; it really makes the drying go better and faster.


Here's the short version of the "big dog" recipe:
1. Buy a bunch of the biggest yams you can find. 10 lb. fills my 6 round dehydrator racks.
2. Slice the yams into 1/2" - 3/4" slabs.
3. Cook the slices on a plate in a microwave -- about 4 min. on each side.
4. Perforate the slices all over (on both sides) with a fork
5. Dehydrate @135-140' F for 10-20 hrs.
6. Feed and repeat.

"Bone" Apetit!

15 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

We'd like to be yammin' with woo!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra & Khousin Merdie

Nollaig Shona said...

YUM!!!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What a healthy and delicious treat!! I keep forgetting about these and need to and should make them for my crew!

Fred said...

YAM = YUM
If only Old Girl had one of those deyhdraprocessamajiggers.

Lorenza said...

Delicious!
I can see some of those yummy things in my near future!
Happy Weekend!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

1000 Goldens said...

Charlie, you are so lucky! I might need to buy my Mom a dehydrator for Christmas :)

Bailey said...

Never heard of yam chews - but i bet I would like 'em! I have never had a problem with my rawhide chews, though.

In a strange coincidence, I just blogged about a BAD treat - come visit me some time!

I hope we can be bloggy friends

Moose said...

Most yammers!!!

How Sam Sees It said...

We've been using your yam recipe for a while - Sam and Monty really love them.

Sam

Kari in Alaska said...

Im making yams tonight for the humans :)

Helios said...

Looks yummy!! Can this be done on low heat in an oven as well since my M doesn't own a dehydrator?

Ana RdC said...

Congratulations from Spain. Your blog is great

Sunshade said...

Oh my little Chuck, thanks so much for sharing!!! It certainly looks like great chews and like ur mom said, much safer.

Hmmmm... can you show me your dehydrator?? Will my mum have to work over time to pay for one?

Love nibbles,
Miss Sunshade

Moco said...

Yummy for sure.

Rick said...

Oh those look good. Charlie you are so lucky to have a live in chef.