Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Silver Lining

Charlie's fine, but had to go to the vet today. Pictures are best left to the imagination, but we had a conversation there that went something like this:

Dr T: We went through his stool sample, and I have to tell you that all of us back there found it pretty entertaining!
Us: ???
Dr T: I mean it! Did you look through that sample before you brought it in?
Us: Well, kind of. Charlie had some brown rice for dinner last night, and we could see the grains in his poop.
Dr T: Yes, brown rice. But did you see what else was in there?
Us: I don't know; maybe not... like what?
Dr T: Like, for example, a hairball. There was a hairball in there! None of us have ever HEARD of a dog having hairball problems.
Us: Well, he has been shedding a lot lately and he's been itchy so he bites himself...
Dr T: And there were almonds. WHOLE almonds! Several of them.
Us: Well he likes them. Sometimes he gets them as a treat. And he doesn't bother to chew...
Dr T: There was all kinds of stuff in there! But he'll be fine --- I'm sure it's just something he ate.

And he is. Fine, that is. And the vets and techs at our clinic got a few laughs today. Not a bad trade in my book. :)

 

14 comments:

Moco said...

Dawson is always pooping out earplugs. You should hear Pappy yell when he figures out they are gone. A hairball is pretty good. Maybe he got it from the cat in the previous post.

Noah the Airedale said...

Way to go Charlie lol. Whole almonds ay....haven't tried them yet.

tailwags
Noah

Curt Rogers said...

Ah, the joys of Doggydom! Did I ever tell you about the time I pulled a drier sheet out of Duncan's bum? It was almost like grabbing one of those baby wipes from the container that only allows you to take one at a time. Same concept.

And then there was the time gis doctors removed thirty-some feet of yarn from his intestines, after the several hundred feet he'd swallowed then puked up.

Doggydom, indeed!

Poor Charlie. We'll be thinking good, healthy, hairball-free thoughts for him!

Amber-Mae said...

Oh Charlie! What have you eaten? You've got a load of crap in your poopie. Hope everything clears up soon. What a funny boy you are!

Butt wiggles,
Solid Gold Dancer

Hugo said...

What weird stuff have you been eating? Hahaha.. I think the weirdest I have pooped out is some sticky tape and thread from my rope toy!

Hugo

Agatha and Archie said...

We are going to try the almonds...We don't se eanything funny about this at all..We have lots of stuff like that..so what?? And as for you being on the boat?? WOOHOO!! AHOY MATIE!!! Love A+A

Eduardo said...

Charlie! It's good that your fine! I eat my Mommy's hair(strays pieces that fall when she brushes her hair) & quite often it shows in my boo boo, but the vet said it's okay!
Hugs & Snugs
Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle

Lorenza said...

Charlie sure has an interesting diet!
Glad to know he is ok!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Oh dear... What have you been eating Charlie?

~ Girl girl

BenTheRotti said...

I shudder to think what a vet would make of my poop.. there are things in there that even I have no idea where they came from! I swear I don't eat half the stuff that ends up in my digestive system!

Glad to hear you are fine buddy, hope you got treats for the laugh you gave them!

Ben xxxx

Hugo said...

Hey Charlie,

I've nominated you for an award! Check it out at my bloggie! Thank you for all the encouragement you have given to us.

Licks and leaps
Hugo

Bogart H. Devil said...

Oh Charlie... "entertaining" and "stool sample" in the same sentence just NEVER sounds good...

Glad to hear you're fine buddy - you're a WEALTH of great info for me and mama about Portland! There were actually several Goldens in Laurelhurst Park today, I always wonder if one of them is you...

Love,
Bogart

Chef said...

Did I ever tell you about the times ... yes times with an S... that I ate my daddy's socks and pooped them out? Yup. Swear to Dog. Anyway, glad your poopy problems are solved, Charlie. You gotta be careful what you eat, friend.

xoxo
Chef

test said...

hahahaha - classic!! Mommy inspected my stool the other day when it came out neon green.. What can I say I LOVE eating tennis balls!! Good to hear you are feeling better!